Monday, April 8, 2013

I sneezed and it caused me to spill my coffee

Do you ever have one of those days where everything seems to go wrong?

Lately for me, it's like I have at least one of those days once a week.
The weather is finally getting nice outside and so the kids are going crazy. They're bouncing off the walls.
Earlier in the month, a ball was kicked inside my house and it broke the light's shade on the ceiling. It was a day that I had extra kids. There were 15 kids in my basement plus my husband and step-son!
But guess what?.. at that particular moment, all the kids were playing near the wall. Not a single one was hit by glass! God protected us in that case!
It was also nice that my husband happened to be there. A lot of times he has things to do when he gets off work. That day he was there and even in the basement. So while I picked up the big pieces of glass and dealt with the kid that kicked the ball, he ran to get the vacuum and got the rest of the glass.
I remember that in the moment I thought "what else could happen today" but right now I don't remember all the little things that probably happened before that.

The next week was Spring Break so I expected it to be a little crazier. But the way the week started was unexpected. I had just gotten the kids lunch and was in the kitchen making my own sandwich. A little girl came in with tears and just waving her arms like "come here. come here. come here!" Thinking someone may be choking, I ran in. Well.. her brother had gotten sick. Not only all over himself but the little guy next to him as well. Ugh.
It's always a hassle cleaning up messes whether it's glass or throw up but there's so much more going on when it's someone getting sick. Not only do you have to clean up the actual mess but you have to clean up the child AND make sure the other kids don't make the mess worse. The whole room needs to stop moving (which rarely happens). You have kids that ask several times what happened. You have kids that (amazingly) have finished eating and want to know what we're going to do next. You have the child that got sick and making sure they don't do it again. You have to make sure you're calling one of his parents to come get them. And in this particular moment, I had a little girl freaking out at the whole experience.
It's one of the moments where you feel like screaming and yet have to appear calm so the kids stay calm.
To add to it this particular day, I was having my cycle and was in a lot of pain. It's amazing how that seems to diminish when your body goes into overdrive. But then is worse when the stress subsides.

This past week has just been plain stressful. But there was still one day that sticks out more than others. The kids were bouncing off the wall even more so. They were arguing and tattling more than normal. It was one of those mornings where I didn't get to drink my coffee until later.
I had my coffee in hand and I sneezed. Yep, the coffee spilt over the top. It was as if I was in a car and hit a big bump. It's one of those moments where I say "are you kidding me?"
The kids always make me laugh at this point. They come over wanting to know what's wrong and what happened and if I'm mad. haha.
Later that day, a child knocked a picture off my shelf. Again, I have broken glass. At this point, the week had been so stressful and the day seemed so long, I just shrugged it off. I had the "okay. why not?" type of attitude.
Was the day over? Nope.
It was almost closing time and I only had a few kids left. I had been upstairs talking to a parent and downstairs the kids were getting in trouble. One ended up crying and needing an ice pack.

Working with kids is just asking for these kinds of days. It's never dull.
But I'm sure that a lot of you feel like you have these kinds of days whether it's dealing with children or not.

There's a lot more that I could tell you that's happened over the last few weeks but those were the highlights.

As I look back, I laugh.

I laugh at how crazy life has been. I laugh at how the kids react to different things and how they still talk about some of the things that happened. I laugh at how it seems like when one thing happens, something else does too.

My mom handed me a note the day before my coffee spilled, the picture broke and a child needed an ice pack. What she had written wasn't about anything going on but the paper had something printed on it. It said "When life becomes a roller coaster, raise your hands and enjoy the ride".

It's hard to laugh in the moment. But after we deal with the mess and anyone involved, we need to move on and laugh about it.
Life happens.
Life is eventful.
Laugh and enjoy the ride!

And when you're going to sneeze... set your coffee down first. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment