Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Mental Health and the Holidays

 Mental health does not take a holiday!

During the holidays, people with mental illness struggle more than they do other times of the year. It could be depression that comes from loneliness, comparisons to others or something else. Anxiety can rise when we think of being around other people. 

And we can't forget about the stress that comes from this season. Stress makes conditions of mental illness worse.

According to NAMI- National Alliance on Mental Illness- 64% of people with mental illness report holidays make their conditions worse. 24% of those people say it makes conditions a lot worse while 40% say conditions are only somewhat worse. 

I label myself as a Scrooge and a Grinch. 

I would love it if we could just pass over the holidays. All of my conditions get worse this time of year. I'm more stressed, tired and exhausted. My anxiety is very high and I have to work to keep depression at bay. I feel like I have to really watch what I say and do around others or at events. This in itself is exhausting! 

Others with mental illness will feel the same way... having to be fake for a period of time takes it toll. 

Here's my advice... be prepared.

When you are going to an event or know that you'll be around a lot of people, go prepared to be more anxious and more on edge. Give yourself permission to take a break when needed. Avoid things that might make depression worse... like social media or certain Christmas movies. Do what you can to keep your stress lower. I like to get my shopping done in October!

Grief during the holidays can make conditions worse but grief affects everyone whether they struggle with a mental illness or not. Whether it be divorce, the loss of a loved one or something else, it should be noted that grief is okay. Not having my grandma this year makes holidays a little harder. We don't want to ignore the fact that the holidays can be hard for anyone. 

I want to debunk one myth about the holidays. 

Myth: There are more suicides during the holidays

Truth: Suicides DECREASE during the holidays. 

Suicide actually increases more in the spring and summer. During the holidays there can be a lot more support and feelings of being loved. Even receiving one Christmas card can help a person get through the day. 

I hope some of this helps you get through the holidays. If you feel alone or not loved, reach out to me! I'd gladly encourage you and show you love. If you want advice or help getting through a specific part of this season, please ask and I'll do my best to help you!

My email is mannas.musings@gmail.com.

My YouTube link is https://youtu.be/C8bR1kJTXcI

Be prepared, have a wonderful Christmas and don't forget to give yourself a break!!



No comments:

Post a Comment